Implementers community summary
The Implementation Support Group - ISG of buildingSMART International has been created to support the various implementation and certification activities for buildingSMART standards. In particular ISG discusses and promotes the use of Industry Foundation Classes IFC for the exchange and sharing of Building Information Models among different software products.
Membership in ISG is open to all software companies internationally that are members of a local or regional chapter/alliance of buildingSMART. ISG organized regular meetings (currently twice a year in Spring and Autumn) and several telephone conferences to discuss the implementation and support strategies and to clarify issues occuring.
In detail the purpose of the Implementation Support Group is:
- to support and coordinate Industry Foundation Classes IFC software implementers by providing an appropriate forum and distribute information
- to serve as a forum to exchange experiences in IFC software implementation and to discusss technical issues and resolve issues with non compliance
- to promote software implementation by organizing demonstrations, participating in tradeshows and communicating the benefits of IFCs for end users
- to facilitate, together with the Modeling Support Group MSG, the certification process for IFC software interface implementations
- to monitor software implementation activities around IFC and to report on its status to other groups of buildingSMART
- to represent software implementers and their interests within the buildingSMART organization
In acknowledgment of the different data exchange and sharing requirements that occur in the construction and facility management domain there are focus groups of ISG that target a particular area of the interoperability challenge. This is also reflected by the different Model View Definitions MVD that govern the subset of IFC required to support those exchange requirements. Currently the active groups are:
- subgroup for the structural modeling, analysis and detailing domain
- subgroup for energy calculation and thermal simulation exchange
The main ISG group is also dealing with the main interoperability issue of coordinating the three major disciplines, architecture, building service and structural modeling during design and detailing.
Resources made available