General IFC implementation resources available
Beside working on the IFC specification development, the Model Support Group also supports the IFC implementation work by providing guidelines, tutorials and examples. In collaboration with software implementers, organised in the Implementation Support Group, MSG also publishes implementation agreements and offers implementation issue resolution.
Implementation guidelines published
- IFC Implementation Guide
- IFC File Header Implementation Guide
- ifcXML Implementation Guide
(specific guideline for using the ifcXML, the XML document format for delivering IFC datasets)
Implementation agreements available
- A list of implementer agreements are developed and maintained by MSG in collaboration with the Implementer Support Group ISG to support the ongoing implementation and certification activities.
- NOTE: The implementer agreements had previously been published at the former separate web page of ISG and they are currently moved to this official technical website of buildingSMART.
- A list of implementation issues is maintained in an Issue Database for implementation specific issues and requests.
- NOTE: Access is provided to all members of buildingSMART that sign up for the issue database.
Supporting documentation, examples and listing of developer toosl
- A small "Hello Wall" example have been published on this side to give a first and easy introduction into writing an IFC exchange file.
- A string encoding / decoding example code to demonstrate the use of non ASCII characters and Unicode in IFC data files.
- A list of IFC development toolboxes is provided at this site. Please check it for further references.
A highlighted list of open source, or free development tools, to better support the IFC development community - new!